Quote of the Day

Sunday, August 31, 2008

Transference of kindness

One of the many chores of a mother is to drive your children to school. It was pretty routine while I chauffeured my daughter until I started to notice a particular man walking by the side of the road with a walking stick; a blind man walking stick to that.

It became a morning conversation between my daughter and I ... we guessed he might be out looking (hypothetically) for breakfast or just out for a walk or even maybe just wondering around aimlessly.

Until one day we saw a motorist and a few cars stopped in front of us and the motorist stepping off his bike to take this blind man across the road.

We then consciously try to be on time to perform our act of kindness everyday but we were only lucky once in a while.

Then one day, upon spotting the blind man from afar, I applied on my breaks to stop while the person driving behind me was taken by surprise and started to honk at me. I just muttered to my daughter "Its alright, this person will understand when he sees the blind man."

Miraculously, the teacher in my daughter's class, Mr Bee announced that he had a confession to make.He told the class that he felt bad as he had honked at a car in front of him which stopped for a blind man. My daughter was very excited and wanted very much to scream out loud that that was her mother he had honked at but she did not want to embarrass the teacher further so she kept quiet. But she couldn't wait to get back to relate the story to me.

We were both very happy as we knew that the teacher will then be looking out for this blind man in the future to stop for him as well.

Kindness is actually contagious and you just might want to carry out an act of random kindness everyday and transfer your kind act along ... the world will be a better place through your kindness.

Gandhi once said ~~~~
"You must be the change you want to see in the world."


No comments: