Quote of the Day

Thursday, August 28, 2008

"I believe in karma"

I just wanted to buy a bottle of ointment but the lesson I learned when I walked into this particular pharmacy was invaluable.

I sighted the ointment I wanted right in a glass covered shelf in front of the cashier counter and sitting behind the counter was a young man.

So I asked for one bottle and he simply replied "Take it yourself, its not locked."

"Wow" I said "Not afraid your customer will take it away without paying?"

"Oh its okay, if my customer takes and walks out without paying, I will just let him go because I believe in karma."

Wow again! That was not the reaction we will normally get.

I am a Buddhist myself and I believe in karma too but I never applied it to my everyday life like this. Doesn't it take away a lot of unnecessary stress?

Karma in Sanskrit means act, action or performance and karma is the concept of "action" or "deed" in Indian religion understood as that which cause the entire cycle of cause and effect (the cycle called samsara).

The philosophical explanation of karma from Wikipedia, can differ slightly between traditions (in Hindu, Jain, Sikh and Buddhist), but the general concept is basically the same. Through the law of karma, the effects of all deeds actively create past, present, and future experiences, thus making one responsible for one's own life, and the pain and joy it brings to him/her and others.

In religions that incorporate reincarnation, karma extends through one's present life and all past and future lives as well....

No comments: