Quote of the Day

Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Start Them Young

"Charity begins at home" ~~ I heard this statement very often when I was young because wealth was scarce in the 70's and 80's, and I still hear it albeit not so often. I guessed people are more understanding about giving.

I had this wrong concept of waiting for the right time to do charity; wait when I have more time; wait till I get richer; wait, wait and wait.

I learned that we should not wait to be charitable and should educate our children to start them young.

One day, my family and I decided that we should bring cheers to some orphans and we just did it. We collected some money from everyone including children, bought some goodies, packed them up into bags and we visited The Agathians Shelters. My 3-year old nephew was given the great honour of distributing the goodies. The orphans were happy and we were even happier seeing the joy and appreciation in their expressions.

We were truly grateful for the orphans who were there for us to do some good. A simple act of kindness goes a long way......

No comments: