Quote of the Day

Tuesday, June 25, 2013

The Story Behind the Singapore $1 Coin

First time I heard the story about this coin is the reason why it is hexagonal. For the purpose of Fengshui. Mr Lee KY consulted a fengshui expert in 1990 as to how to bring prosperity to the country (in that context) and was told that every Singaporean must carry a "pakua" with them at all time.  It will be a tall order as not all are believers.  So there came this brilliant idea of making the $1 coin into the shape of a "pakau". Now everyone who lives in Singapore will have at one time or the other have a "pakua" with them. Old man is happy.

Now in 1997 Singapore hit a bad patch in the economy and here comes the fengshui expert again; the back of the coin (1990) shows a sad face -- thus
And a new coin was minted..............thus
Now Singapore is smiling again......their dollar is strong and its a "smiley"

I being a believer of fengshui (though not fanatically - I only stick to the logical ones), I had been carrying a Spore $1 myself for many years too, so this new knowledge prompted me to take a closer look at my own coin....phews its a "smiley" face one luckily!!
BUT upon closer look (look may deceive), it is actually a round coin made to look like its hexagonal; so now are we being mislead?   Is it not feasible to make a hexagon-shaped coin?  Does the "made to look" as good as real shape?   I leave this to the great old man...he is the smarter one!!

No comments: