Quote of the Day

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

"Kiasu" Syndrome

Are you "kiasu" or "kiasi"? Do a survey; first on yourself, then among your friends. Ask yourself whether you are "kiasu" or "kiasi". For those who do not understand these terms; they are actually Hokkien (one of the multitude of Chinese dialects) coined to portray "afraid to lose - kiasu" and "afraid of dying - kiasi". If I am not mistaken, this started in Singapore due to the competitiveness of this small nation and they, the Singaporean are being labelled "kiasu" for their fear of losing out due to the smallness of their country - unfair but quite apt!

So the "Kiasu" syndrome has expanded to include "kiasi" and the like "kiaboh". I personally do not advocate "kiaboh" - meaning - fear one's wife, simply because it has a gender connotation and a personal attack on all men without their defence being called. Also, I do sincerely respect men who listen to their wives and pay due respects to them instead of those, chauvinistic types who treat their wives as mere second class.... so "kiaboh" is definitely not in my category of vocabs!!

So back to the question in time ~~ are you "kiasu" or "kiasi". For me, after some thoughts, I think (feel) that I am not afraid of dying but I probably would be more afraid of losing. I have always try to do better than others, I love to compete and win and there..... I am "kiasu"!!!! What about you??

2 comments:

Ray Eoh said...

I am "kiasu", but i am more "Kiasi" because so far i been to hk only, never been to japan, china etc... hehe

aliciaallyloh said...

haha...so you are "kiasi" cos you have not seen the world yet? Well, start thinking where you want to go... thoughts become thing!